Free Cultural Resources
Cultural Venues in New York City
The City of New York is home to more than 500 galleries, 375 nonprofit theater companies, 330 dance companies, 150 museums, 96 orchestras, 40 Broadway theaters, 24 performing arts centers, five zoos, five botanical gardens, and an aquarium.
Many institutions offer free hours or suggested admission. Find more free, low cost and family friendly events taking place across the five boroughs by visiting the NYCulture Calendar at www.nyc.gov/nyculture.
Please confirm details with the host organization before planning your visit. The New York City
Department of Cultural Affairs is not responsible or liable for the delay and/or cancellation of events or modification of admission policies at the institutions listed above.
VENUES WITH FREE OR SUGGESTED ADMISSION
- Alice Austen House Museum
- American Folk Art Museum
- American Museum of Natural History (permanent collection only)
- BRIC Rotunda Gallery
- Brooklyn Museum
- Bronx Museum of the Arts
- Flushing Town Hall: Gallery by suggested donation.
- Goethe Institute
- Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning: Gallery is free at all times.
- Kentler International Drawing Space
- King Manor Museum
- Lefferts Historic House
- Longwood Art Gallery at Hostos Community College
- Metropolitan Museum of Art / The Cloisters
- MoMA PS1
- El Museo del Barrio
- Museum of Biblical Art
- Museum of the City of New York
- National Museum of the American Indian
- Old Stone House
- Queens County Farm Museum
- Queens Museum of Art
- Sculpture Center
- Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanical Gardens
- Studio Museum in Harlem
- Staten Island Museum
FREE HOURS AT CULTURAL VENUES
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden: Free admission on Saturdays from 10AM–Noon, all day Tuesdays, winter weekdays, and Fridays for seniors.
- Asia Society and Museum: Admission is free to all Friday 6-9PM (does not apply from July 1 through Labor Day).
- Brooklyn Childrenʼs Museum: Free every third Thursday from 4–7 PM and the first full weekend of every month from 2–5 PM, except holiday weekends.
- Bronx Zoo: Every Wednesday is free.
- Childrenʼs Museum of the Arts: Pay what you wish on Thursdays, 4-6 PM.
- Guggenheim Museum: Pay what you wish on Saturdays, 5:45-7:45 PM.
- Historic Richmond Town: Free on Fridays, 1PM–5PM.
- International Center of Photography: Voluntary contribution every Friday, 5 – 8 PM.
- Jewish Museum: Free every Saturday.
- Lincoln Center David Rubenstein Atrium: Free performances every Thursday at 8:30 PM.
- Morgan Library and Museum: Free on Fridays, 7–9PM
- Museum of Arts and Design: Pay what you wish Thursdays 6–9 PM.
- Museum of Chinese in America: Free every Thursday, 11 AM–9 PM.
- Museum of Jewish Heritage: Free every Wednesday 4–8 PM.
- Museum of Modern Art: Free Friday Nights, 4–8 PM.
- Museum of the Moving Image: Free Friday Nights, 4–8 PM.
- New Museum: Free Thursday Evenings, 7–9 PM.
- New York Aquarium: Suggested donation Fridays after 3 PM.
- New York Botanical Garden: Free all day Wednesdays, and Saturday from 10 AM-Noon.
- New York Hall of Science: Free Fridays 2–5 PM and Sundays 10–11 AM.
- New-York Historical Society: Pay what you wish on Fridays, 6–8 PM.
- Noguchi Museum: Pay what you wish the first Friday of every month.
- Staten Island Childrenʼs Museum: Grandparents Free Wednesdays 5-8 PM.
- Staten Island Zoo: Free Wednesdays 2–4:45 PM.
- Van Cortlandt House Museum: Free Wednesdays.
- Wave Hill Cultural Center: Free Saturdays and Tuesdays, 9 AM–Noon.
- Whitney Museum: Pay what you wish Fridays 6–9 PM